Monday, July 27, 2009

7/27/09

Well Shiprock is awesome! Just as I imagined it.. ugly dry, brown and full of people to teach! We don't have time to knock doors because there is so much to do and so many people to see. We already have this whole week booked with appointments. The people here are really flaky, so I am sure a lot of appointments will fall through but that's okay because we still have a lot of backup plans. I LOVE IT! This is how missionary work should be everywhere!

My first night here, Sister Mailo (a sister that was in Shiprock for about a year and she just went home right before I got here), her parents came to Shiprock to meet the people she worked with so we went to this thing at the church and I swear it sounded like a funeral. Everyone was talking about how awesome she was and what a great job she did in the ward... etc. lol it was kind of funny!

My comp is sister Sagapolutele she is Samoan but from Utah. She is a lot of fun so I am sure we will get along. We have to get to know each other first but so far so good :-) she has been out 6 months but is very strong!

Well the Navajo people are so awesome. Very humble yet A LOT of drama! They all have children from like 5 dads and all have live in boyfriends or girlfriends, we deal with a lot. People getting raped, abuse, etc. stuff that I never thought I would have to deal with especially on my mission! It's kind of like a soap opera!

We work really closely with a senior couple. They are the Myers from Washington State. They are awesome I love working with them. Since we have limited miles they drive us places and we see them almost every day.

Saturday was a pioneer celebration in Kirtland (the town just west of us) and so we went over to the parade. It was so fun! It reminded me of the Panguitch parade. Wards and families had floats. It was a grand ol' time. then Shiprock ward was in charge of Navajo tacos which is fry bread (the best stuff EVER) with beans and cheese and onions and lettuce etc. but I learned how to make fry bread... kind of. We are trying to recruit someone in the ward to teach us how to make the dough and the bread. It is kind of like elephant ears but smaller and not necessarily have sugar on it. Kind of like the Mexican soppia. Anyways I will learn how to make it and come home and make it for you :-)

Yesterday I spoke in church about faith of our fathers but I kind of changed it to faith of our mothers and told some stories I found in the ensign about women pioneers and bore my testimony. The 2nd counselor in the bishopric got up before I spoke and told Sister S. and I that we have big footprints to fill now that Sister Mailo is gone! Ugh I am nervous that people aren't going to give me a chance because I am white, blonde, and not Sister Mailo (she is Hawaiian but looks a lot like the Navajo people)

But I know I am here for a reason and so hopefully I will touch someone!

Well I am excited for the work to go forth. I can't believe how fast the time has flown but I don't want it to! I love the mission and I love seeing people's lives change. It's really the greatest work I could be doing.

Love you all! Thanks for your love and support! xoxo Sister Marchant

No comments: