Thursday, February 5, 2009

Feb. 2, 2009

Hello Lake Woebegone!

Well transfers are tomorrow and guess what!?! I am leaving Cortez :-( I am really sad. Yesterday and today I have been saying goodbye... and it stinks!!! Oh well I am praying that I can come back and finish my mission here... we will see. I am going to Cedar Crest. it's in the east mountains of Albuquerque, so I am really excited. My companion has been out for 6 weeks and I can't pronounce her name! The area has been closed to missionaries for 2 transfers (3 months) so we are opening it. I am a little nervous to open an area, but I am sure we will be fine. I will also be going to be senior which stinks because I have to drive now :-( We are living with a member of the bishopric and his wife, so that should be fun! I am ready to leave Cortez so it will be a good change.

So have Pam and Alan been in the church news yet? Every time I can get my hands on one I look to see if they are in it and no luck so far. when do they find out where they are going?

This week has been pretty lame, except for transfer news. I think I have told you about Char and her 2 boys, but we have been teaching them and they are doing so well! She already has a strong testimony, the only thing holding her back is her husband. He doesn't want anything to do with the church, he is being supportive, but she wants him right there with her. So we taught her the Restoration and she already knew the Joseph Smith story and had a testimony of him! I am so sad that I don't get to teach her anymore. But I will get to find people to teach in Cedar Crest :-)

Another family we are teaching, the Cyrs, has finally opened up and told us their reservations with the gospel. They belonged to a cult for a long time and they just got out of it a few years ago, but they don't believe in truth. They were brainwashed for so long and then let down that they have a hard time believing other things. It's really sad that they are so messed up because of some guy that was power hungry! He told them that only the people in the cult were human and everyone else was animals, and that the moon was actually only 9 miles away! Super crazy stuff that makes you wonder why they believed it! oh! He also said the world was going to end in the year 2000 and that the Russians are all going to come over and destroy us soon. Ha-ha super funny!

There is the family, the Sacketts, they are so awesome! One of the families I am going to miss the most. Joe (the dad) is trying to quick smoking, so he can baptize his son. So I told him I would give up sweets until the end of next transfer, sooo... I haven't eaten any sweets in about a week and a half! ahhh who would have ever guessed I could do it. I can do it for someone else, but if it was just for me and to be healthy... not so much. They have 3 little kids and they are CRAZY! but super funny. Maddy just turned 3 and the other day she put my coat on and runs in and goes "Hi, I'm Marchant" it was so cute!! Then, when we were about to leave we said Maddy do you want to come with us? (just kidding obviously) and she goes "shoes..." and she ran and got her shoes and was about to come with us! Ha-ha Her birthday was the other day and Kirsten (the mom) asked what she wanted and she said "cake!" all she wanted was cake :-) Super awesome family! So the other day we were over there and Joe was joking but said "man, I wish you guys could babysit! Kirsten and I need some time together" sooooo we thought hmmm... we can't babysit but someone else can! so we got the Relief Society Pres to babysit their kids and we made them dinner. We decorated their dining room with Christmas lights and candles and the elders were their waiters! It was soooo much fun! Then we left and they had 2 hours without their kids to just be together! It was so funny, they said "man, we don't even know how to talk without kids climbing all over us" I don't think they have been alone in a long time... they prob can't afford a babysitter.

There is another family I just LOVE! they are the Largos. (Abby is friends with Justin on facebook) but they are so awesome! We had FHE over there almost every Monday and they are just a really close family! every time I go there it makes me miss you guys! But last night we went over to say goodbye and Justin and Tyler did the Haka (sp?) it's a Hawaiian dance but it was hilarious! I got it on my camera, so when I send it home you can watch it!

So that's a little about the people I have been teaching... it's a little late because I am leaving but hey! It's crazy because you don't realize the impact you make on people's life until you leave. Yesterday at church a few people came up to me and told me to keep in touch, and I would have NEVER guessed they liked me that much!! ha-ha

The weather here is amazing! I am so glad I am on my mission here and NOT Michigan! ha-ha there is barely any snow, but you still get the seasons. you should definitely look into moving here!

That's awesome that you are going to Amber's reception. Tell her I say "Hello", she sent me an announcement which was really nice.

We were supposed to go to Mesa Verde today, but the elders were being lame and they were "too stressed" and didn't want to go! :-( so I guess I will have to come back, but I am the type of person to make things happen and some people just give up (or they don't really want to go) but oh well! at least I'm just in Colorado... not too far from home!

well I am going down to Farmington (once again) to stay the night tonight and then I get to ride the transfer van down to Albuquerque tomorrow! Wahoo... should be exciting :-)

I love you all sooooooo sooooooo sooooo much!!! Mom, keep the TiVo going, I am sure I will have a lot to catch up on when I get home! love ya xoxo

Sister Lizzie Marchant

No comments: